Construction is nearing completion at a massive land-based shellfish hatchery and research facility near Saltery Bay on the Sunshine Coast.
The 34,000-square-metre facility is the first phase of a planned $40-million build-out south of Powell River that is expected to create 30 to 50 local jobs. The company Hummingbird Cove Lifestyles is a subsidiary of Linghai Shenziting Sea Cucumber Hatchery in China’s Liaoning province.
Although construction was delayed by several months due to a lengthy government licensing process and an ongoing legal conflict with a local building contractor, the facility is set to open in February, according to Dan Dyble, a business consultant and spokesman for the firm’s owners.
“Without the approvals in place, we had to slow down construction, but we are quite close to completion now,” said Dyble. “It took longer than expected, but we are moving forward nicely.”
Hummingbird Cove is licensed to produce 23 species of seafood, including urchins, geoduck, sea cucumbers, scallops, oysters, clams and mussels, according to the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO).
The firm intends to harvest wild scallops to use as brood stock to produce scallop spat (larvae) for their own use and for sale to other local aquaculture operations.
“There is a huge hole in the local spat market,” said Dyble. “Why are (local) growers bringing in spat from New Zealand?”
Owners Xi Ping Ding and Zhiyi Chen plan to add a second facility to grow and export mature shellfish by September, 2020. Once the second phase of investment is completed, Hummingbird Cove will be among the largest shellfish hatchery and farming operations in North America, when operating at full capacity, according to the company website.
Ding and Chen have opened an office under the name Pacific Aquaculture International in Powell River to manage the company’s international interests, but the firm has been flagged as “not in good standing” after failing to file a mandatory annual report according to B.C. Registry Services.
Fresh sea water drawn in to the facility and returned to the ocean is not degraded or altered, the owners say.
The facility’s DFO permits allow installation of two new intake pipes and allows the hatchery effluent to be discharged into Jervis Inlet, subject to review and approval of the utility tenure by the provincial Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations.
“DFO recommended mitigation measures during construction of the intake pipes, including an on-site qualified environmental monitor to supervise the intake pipe site preparation and installation, to assess for any species of concern, and to apply mitigation measures to ensure the protection of fish,” the department said in an email. “The proponent has agreed to these measures.”
Pacific Aquaculture has no plans to raise finfish on the site and has consulted with affected First Nations from the project’s inception.
“We were initially worried about waste going into the ocean, but that will be filtered,” said Clint Williams, elected chief of the Tla’amin First Nation. “We have concerns about net-pen (salmon) farms, but this is a dry-land facility and we are eager to see that it is as green as they say it is.”
Members of the Tla’amin community worked on the construction of the hatchery over the past two summers and Williams is optimistic that the second phase of the project will result in permanent jobs for his people.
Hummingbird has faced a number of legal hitches during the construction process, one of which is yet to be resolved.
According to documents filed with the Supreme Court of British Columbia, a $3-million lawsuit filed against Ding and Chen by Richmond businessman Morris Chen for unpaid loans was resolved November 30. A $118,289 builder’s lien filed by Dick’s Lumber for building materials was resolved July 26.
However, another suit was filed earlier this year by contractor Creative Property Developments, the firm brought in to assembled prefabricated buildings on the site. Work stopped after a conflict arose about the suitability of the foundations, according to documents filed with the Supreme Court of British Columbia. Creative is seeking $157,000 for work completed, extra work requested by the defendants and loss of profits.
Hummingbird filed a counter claim against Creative in the amount of $464,000 for failing to complete the work as agreed.
Work resumed on the site after a third party engineer verified the suitability of the foundations, according to Dyble.
“I’ve never worked on a large construction project that doesn’t have setbacks,” he said. “When you look at the magnitude of what we are trying to do compared with what already existed before in Canada, that’s normal.”
Originally Published: http://vancouversun.com/
Budget delivers more record road spending for the Sunshine Coast and Moreton Bay areas
The Palaszczuk Government will deliver $509.7 million in 2018-19 for the North Coast district as part of another record investment in road and transport infrastructure for the third year in a row.
Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said the district was one of the many beneficiaries of the blockbuster roads budget being delivered under the Queensland Transport and Roads Investment Program (QTRIP).
“Funding for the Sunshine Coast and Moreton Bay area is part of the Queensland Government’s record spend on road and transport infrastructure across the state for the third year running, with an investment of about $21.7 billion over the next four years,” Mr Bailey said.
“This will include $2.917 billion of works planned just for this area alone, over the next four years, supporting an average of 2689 direct jobs.
“Continuing works on the Bruce Highway and other key links around the Sunshine Coast and Moreton Bay are the main focus.
“We’re also looking to get cars off the Bruce, and Sunshine Coast commuters will benefit from $160.8 million Queensland Government funding for the Beerburrum to Nambour rail upgrade, which will support an average of 312 jobs per year over the life of the project, with design work getting underway in 18-19.
Mr Bailey said major projects for the North Coast district in 2018-19 included:
– Bruce Highway Upgrade Project, continue widening of the highway from four to six lanes between Caloundra Road to Sunshine Motorway and upgrading the interchanges for a total cost of $812.9 million (2018-19 $200 million)
– Bruce Highway, continue installing safety barriers along the highway between Beerburrum and Cooroy for a total cost of $79.8 million (2018-19 $42.5 million)
– Burpengary Caboolture Road (locally known as Morayfield Road) and Beerburrum Road Route Safety project, start work on safety treatments along these sections between the Bruce Highway and D’Aguilar Highway overpass for a total cost of $28.8 million (2018-19 $8 million)
– Continue upgrades to improve access to the Sunshine Coast University Hospital for a total cost of $22 million (2018-19 $4.8 million) with works starting on a third package to improve capacity at Nicklin Way between Main Drive and Waterview Street and provide access from Production Avenue to Kawana Way
– Caboolture Connection Road Route Safety Strategy, continue safety improvements along various locations on Caboolture Connection Road between the Bruce Highway and D’Aguilar Highway for a total cost of $7.6 million (2018-19 $3.7 million)
“We are also providing $3.7 million in 2018-19 through the 50:50 Transport Infrastructure Development Scheme (TIDS) to support councils to develop the local transport infrastructure they need,” he said.
Mr Bailey said this budget showed the Palaszczuk Government’s ongoing commitment to delivering key infrastructure and creating jobs for the people of Queensland.
“The Palaszczuk Government’s investment in roads, rail, marine, passenger transport and active transport infrastructure is estimated to support about 19,200 direct jobs, on average, over the life of the four-year program,” he said.
Council commits to new Coast convention centre
MONEY from the sale of Sunshine Coast Council land will be reserved to help bring a convention and exhibition centre to the new Maroochydore CBD.
A new facility is expected to cost about $200 million and the council commitment is intended to encourage state and federal contributions.
The commitment was made in a confidential session of the most recent council meeting after a motion moved by Cr Jason O’Pray was successful with seven votes for and three against.
Mayor Mark Jamieson, Cr Tim Dwyer and Cr Peter Cox opposed the motion.
Cr O’Pray could not release details of the yet-to-be-sold property or how much money would be raised but said he thought making the financial commitment, on top of providing the land, was a positive step in achieving a suitable facility.
He said he took advice from council officers in making the plan.
“I had tossed and turned about this for quite some time when I knew we were selling land in Maroochydore,” Cr O’Pray said.
“My main reasoning for quarantining this money was because I’m absolutely certain we will need state and federal backing on this.
“It is really important to me to see the CBD has its own convention centre.”
He said securing a private backer would be “even better” than relying on government funding for the project.
“Council can clearly not afford that (cost) on its own.”
Cr Jamieson was contacted for comment but declined to publicly detail his reasons for opposing the motion, with a council spokesman saying the mayor did not disclose matters discussed in confidential session.
The spokesman said the council would contribute to a convention and exhibition facility by providing the land on which it was developed and in all likelihood, having to cover the ongoing annual maintenance and other costs.
“The ratepayers of many other regions across Queensland have not been required to contribute towards the cost of developing their convention and exhibition centres,” the spokesman said.
“The cost to construct such facilities in many of these locations has been borne by the State Government.”
He said a new functional brief and specifications for a new convention and exhibition centre had been completed.
Consulting firm PG International was engaged by the council in March last year to complete the work.
“The functional brief and specifications will inform the development of a business case and preliminary design, which will be done if and when, funding becomes available.”
A Department of State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning spokesman said the department didn’t currently have any funding allocated for a convention and exhibition centre on the Coast.
However, he said the minister for the department and the former director-general wrote to all local governments on March 12 inviting submissions for the Maturing the Infrastructure Pipeline Program.
He said the grant program was available to all local governments through a competitive process to undertake strategic planning for infrastructure and develop business cases and detailed design.
Submissions close on April 9.
“Sunshine Coast Council could make a submission for potential assistance in developing its business case for this project,” the spokesman said.
Fast rail a boon for future generations
Sunshine Coast Business Council chairwoman Sandy Zubrinich said the North Coast Connect project, which looks to draw on rail duplication and the CAMCOS corridor, would cater to the bulk of current and future Coast populations.
She said about 65 per cent of the current population of about 170,000 people lived within proximity of the CAMCOS corridor and 85 per cent of the future Coast popualtion growth is to the region’s south, in proximity to the rail corridor.
“Locals will benefit significantly from the increased connectivity,” she said.
The North Coast Connect project has received Federal Government backing by way of a share in $20 million for a business case to be developed.
It was one of just three projects nationally to secure the funding and the Palaszczuk Government has also committed $5 million towards the business case.
Supported by Brisbane, Moreton Bay, Sunshine Coast and Noosa councils, the project is seen by Ms Zubrinich as one perfect for bi-partisan collaboration.
“It is certainly a project that the three tiers of government and the community can get behind and support,” she said.
The business case will be delivered by a consortium of KPMG, Urbis, Stockland and Smec and is expected to take 12-18 months to put together.
The vision is to slash travel times from the Coast to Brisbane down to 45 minutes.
Originally Published: www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au
- Infrastructure7 months ago
Fast Rail from Brisbane to Sunshine Coast Could Become a Reality
- Market Place1 year ago
REVEALED: The truth behind Old Woman Island
- Market Place7 months ago
Queensland’s property flipping hotspots rise as profits roll in
- Developments7 months ago
Construction to begin today on near sold-out housing project
- Opinion7 months ago
A COLOSSAL RISK: Huge danger sign for housing in Australia
- Opinion7 months ago
Noel Whittaker says don’t get beached by dream purchase
- Developments8 months ago
Sunshine Coast’s Newest Town Centre Approved for Development
- Opinion6 months ago
Millennials driving new-found optimism in housing market